If something’s not on the list, either I’ve never heard it or your favorite band sucks.
Click the links to listen to a song from said album.
25) Nu Sensae – Sundowning
24) Screaming Females – Ugly
23) Ceremony – Zoo
22) Carolina Chocolate Drops – Leaving Eden
21) Sun Kil Moon – Among The Leaves
20) Bob Dylan – Tempest
19) JEFF The Brotherhood – Hypnotic Nights
18) Swearin’ – s/t
17) A Whisper In The Noise – To Forget
16) Dinosaur Jr. – I Bet On Sky
15) Bob Mould – Silver Age
14) Mean Jeans – On Mars
13) The Tallest Man On Earth – There’s No Leaving Now
12) Jack White – Blunderbuss
11) White Lung – Sorry
10) Bruce Springsteen – Wrecking Ball
This would have been higher if not for those weird Irish songs, but it’s still the Boss and the songs that rock ROCK.
8) Forgetters – s/t
Blake Schwarzenbach from Jawbreaker/Jets To Brazil returns with his new band, which is an excellent mix of the two mentioned bands.
7) Tyvek – On Triple Beams
Indie garage punk? I don’t know…they’re from Detroit and they’re really good.
6) Trash Talk – 119
Sacramento hardcore band Trash Talk’s fourth LP “119” is their longest and slowest to date. 14 songs, 21 minutes. This shit SHREDS!
5) Gentleman Jesse – Leaving Atlanta
Power-pop! Elvis Costello on speed. (Elvis Costello may have actually been on speed.)
4) The Men – Open Your Heart
Catchy, aggressive, sleepy, fast, insane and avant-garde and still the most conventional thing they’ve done yet.
3) Jimmy Cliff – Rebirth
Reggae legend Jimmy Cliff teams up with producer Tim Armstrong to put out far and away his best album since the early 80s. Instant classic.
2) Japandroids – Celebration Rock
Japandroids channel the spirit of the 90s without hacking or being retro. Celebration rock, indeed.
1) Cloud Nothings – Attack On Memory
The Cloud Nothings bring a tight intensity to go along with these infectious hooks. And they still manage to sound sincere in an age of tired, tired irony. I haven’t been this excited about a band in years.